10 September 2009

(500) Days of Summer


I went to see (500) days of Summer last week. I was kind of reluctant to go and see it as there was another film I wanted to see on at he cinema and this just looked like another romantic comedy, of which I've watched a lot of recently and none of them have been that great- mostly because they tend to have a little comedy but very little romance. This one was different though. For one thing the characters really had chemistry between them which often lacks in romantci comedies. At first I wasn't keen on the female character, Summer, but then you are shown what the male character, Tom, sees in her and you really want them to get together. I really liked how the film wasn't in chronological order but skipped from different days of the 500 'days of Summer' and this really showed the contrast in how Summer made Tom feel so happy at some points and so low at others. The scenes would skip from when Tom had just broken up with Summer and then back to when he was blissfully happy and vice versa. I also liked the use of animation in the film. There's a scene that combines live action with animation for a scene in Tom's imagination where he's feeling so happy he can see a little blue bird flying around him. There's other interesting scenes using photo slide shows and the live action turning into a sketchy animation too. It all helps to tell the story really well and keep your interest. I thought it was the best, most unique and unpredictable romantic comedy I've seen in a long time and whenever I hear songs from it they make me smile (it had a good soundtrack too). Highly recommended, to girls especially.


No comments:

Post a Comment