29 September 2009

What You See Might Not Be Real


I saw this scupture on a news website and only being able to see the cloud part of the sculpture, I thought it was a real cloud of smoke. It amazed me to see, when i viewed the full image, that it was part of a sculpture because it looks so real! 
The sculpture is by artist Chen Wenling and is on display in a Beijing  Gallery. It is called What You See Might Not Be Real- a very fitting title as i thought part of it was real- and it is about the global financial crisis. The bull is supposed to represent Wall Street and the man pinned against the wall is supposed to be jailed financier Bernard Madoff. I don't know much about Bernard Madoff but from what I enterpret, the bull is representing Wall Street's anger at Bernard Madoff and the revenge 'it' would like to get on him. I think the sculpture is amazing- it's like a cartoon from a newspaper but with so much animation and life to it. You can get a real sense on the power in the bull. It's quite scary! 


No comments:

Post a Comment